The history of Strand's began on December 20, 1955, in Ames, Iowa, when The Paint Spot was purchased by Carter A. Strand. This was the first Strand’s location. The three Strand boys, Steve, Bill and Johnl, grew up in the apartment above the store. At that time, Strand’s was a stocking distributor of Colorizer and Glidden Paint. The store in Ames was later operated by John Strand and Bill Strand until 1986. Steve Strand (2nd generation) purchased the Strand’s in Marshalltown in 1973 from the Glidden company when Carter S. Strand (3rd generation) was just three years old. There were three employees at first and the store sold only paint and wallpaper. Since then Strand's has grown into a business selling all types of industrial and residential paint, a complete floor covering department, window treatments and professional decorating services. Strand's relocated to its current, larger storefront in 2001 where they now sell and ship paint internationally and to 33 states and decorate homes and businesses throughout Central Iowa.